Witches… All of them witches!
I am following Suspiria and The Witch with yet another witch movie: Rosemary’s Baby (1968, dir. Roman Polanski). Despite my reservations about Roman Polanski as a person, this is such a great film. I particularly love Mia Farrow as Rosemary. Her descent into paranoia and then her resistance to what’s being done to her are powerfully performed.
Although I opened by describing it as “yet another witch movie,” it’s really a movie about abuse. Rosemary’s husband, Guy, is such a classic abuser, controlling even before the Satanists get involved. Watching Guy gaslight Rosemary is more horrific than Satanists and black magic.
Earlier countdown entries:
- Night of the Living Dead, dir. George Romero (1968)
- Dawn of the Dead, dir. George Romero (1978)
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers, dir. Philip Kaufman (1978)
- Get Out, dir. Jordan Peele (2017)
- Hellraiser, dir. Clive Barker (1987)
- Psycho, dir. Alfred Hitchcock (1960)
- The Birds, dir. Alfred Hitchcock (1963)
- Jaws, dir. Steven Spielberg (1975)
- Teeth, dir. Mitchell Lichtenstein (2007)
- Candyman, dir. Bernard Rose (1992)
- Creep, dir. Patrick Brice (2014)
- The Wicker Man, dir. Robin Hardy (1973)
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre, dir. Tobe Hooper (1974)
- Cabin in the Woods, dir. Drew Goddard (2012)
- Suspiria, dir. Dario Argento (1977)
- The Witch, dir. Robert Eggers (2015)