These are the references and recommendations from my January 2021 Brown Bag talk on teaching about race and racism. This does not include every source that would be useful on the topic, but I hope it provides a useful starting point and some additional perspectives for those who are thinking about how best to teach these topics.
- Sara Ahmed, On Being Included: Racism and Diversity in Institutional Life. Duke University Press, 2012.
- Nolan L. Cabrera, White Guys on Campus: Racism, White Immunity, and the Myth of “Post-Racial” Higher Education. Rutgers University Press, 2019.
- Asao B. Inoue, Labor-Based Grading Contracts: Building Equity and Inclusion in the Compassionate Writing Classroom. The WAC Clearinghouse, 2019.
- Nicole M. Joseph, Chayla Haynes, and Floyd Cobb (editors), Interrogating Whiteness and Relinquishing Power: White Faculty’s Commitment to Racial Consciousness in STEM Classrooms. Peter Lang Publishing, 2016.
- Matthew R. Kay, Not Light, But Fire: How to Lead Meaningful Race Conversations in the Classroom. Stenhouse Publishers, 2018.
- Ibram X. Kendi, How To Be an Antiracist. One World, 2019.
- Cyndi Kernahan, Teaching about Race and Racism in the College Classroom: Notes from a White Professor. West Virginia University Press, 2019.
- Erin Winkler, “Racism as a threshold concept: Examining learning in a ‘diversity requirement’ course.” Race Ethnicity and Education, vol. 21, no. 6, 2018, pp. 1-19.
- Ruha Benjamin, Race After Technology: Abolitionist Tools for the New Jim Code. Polity, 2019.
- Susan D. Blum (editor), Ungrading: Why Rating Students Undermines Learning (and What to Do Instead). West Virginia University Press, 2020.
- Eduardo Bonilla-Silva, Racism Without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in America. 5th edition. Rowman & Littlefield, 2016.
- Ta-Nehisi Coates, Between the World and Me. Spiegel & Grau, 2015.
- Robin DiAngelo, White Fragility; Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism. Beacon Press, 2018.
- Andratesha Fritzgerald, Antiracism and Universal Design for Learning: Building Expressways to Success. CAST Professional Publishing, 2020.
- bell hooks, Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom. Routledge, 1994.
- Todd M. Mealy, Race Conscious Pedagogy: Disrupting Racism at Majority White Schools. McFarland, 2020.
- Layla F. Saad, Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor. Sourcebooks, 2020.
- Derald Wing Sue, Race Talk and the Conspiracy of Silence: Understanding and Facilitating Difficult Dialogues on Race. John Wiley & Sons, 2015.